A house extension can be a life saver when moving home isn’t an option. We’ve built countless extensions over the past twenty five years. Everything from single to two and three storey home extensions to basement excavations and extra storeys on top of existing extensions. In partnership with a well known Sussex architect’s practice, we provide a seamless home extension service from planning approval onwards.
Here’s some useful information about home extensions in Sussex.
Sussex Home Extension Facts
Planning regulations are the same countrywide but local building materials give a county’s traditional homes their character. Bath and Portland stone, Cotswold stone, Welsh slate, Glasgow’s deep red desert sandstone… all help a building blend into the surroundings sympathetically. Because there isn’t any local stone across much of Sussex – just chalk – many traditional Sussex homes are built of lovely, mellow orange brick or faced with napped flints. In towns like Brighton and Worthing many Victorian terraced streets were built using whatever came to hand. Many houses in Brighton’s popular Hanover and North Laine areas are built using lath, plaster, flints and rubble. Plus hard work, spit and good luck!
Windows for Your Home Extension
A window isn’t just a window. Apart from being an aesthetic choice, there are also loads of rules and regulations concerning the type and size of windows you can have, as well as the glass they’re made of. Did you know that, even with climate change and energy saving on the front pages of the papers almost daily, there are some very strict restrictions on the use of double glazing in a listed building? Stuff like this is very useful to know, and thankfully we know it. We’re a mine of information.
Planning Permission for House Extensions
You’ll almost always need building regs approval. But October 2008’s revised planning regulations were designed to take some of the pain out of the home extension planning process. These days an extension is classified as a ‘permitted development’. This means you don’t need to apply for planning permission as long as you can fulfil a few criteria and obey a handful of rules:
- You can’t build on more than half of the land the original building stands on
- You can’t build your home extension at the front or side if it faces a road
- You can’t build an extension that’s higher than your original roof
- The maximum depth of a single storey rear extension is 3m for a terrace or semi, 4m for a detached house
- The maximum height of a single storey rear extension is 4m
- The maximum depth of a rear extension of one storey upwards is 3m including the ground floor
- The maximum eaves height must be within 2m of the boundary of three metres
- The maximum eaves and ridge height of your extension mustn’t be higher than your existing house
- Side extensions must be single storey, maximum height 4m and maximum width half that of the original house
- Two storey extensions can’t be closer than 7m to the rear boundary of your property
- If your extension is more than one storey, the roof pitch must match your existing house
- You must use materials that look similar to the existing house
- You can’t add balconies, verandas or raised platforms
- All the upper floor side facing windows must have frosted glass. If any of them open, they must be at least 1.7m above floor height
- You can’t build anything higher than one storey, clad the outside or build side extensions on designated land (national parks, areas of outstanding natural beauty etc)
Our Home Extension Services in Sussex
We’re happy to undertake all sorts of construction, conversion and installation building work for your home extension. We’ll finish it speedily, without fuss, to a high standard, to building regulations. You’ll enjoy a cheerful team of lifelong builders who work like the clappers!
Get a Sussex home extension quote
Just give Duncan or Neil Bromley a call on 07920 754648 / 07710 148452 or send us an email. We’ll be happy to provide an efficient, comprehensive quote or just talk things through.
- Home extensions in Brighton
- Home extensions in Worthing
- Home extensions in Sussex
Contact us with your requirements.